What's Left Behind

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Week +1: Turmeric, Zinfandel, Vanilla Bean

Incredible achievements to report. Shannon and Jim are back, Jim climbed Everest, and I am finally read to wrap up this blog. After starting with 67 items, and adding two along the way, I’m down to six which I consider close enough.

The last stretch was so very anticlimactic. I used the turmeric for Chicken Tikka Masala. This was a cop-out, as it only required ¼ t of turmeric, but it was something I’ve always wanted to try to make. It came out fine; I think it would have been much better if I had followed the instructions and used ¼ cup of almonds instead of ½ cup. I got carried away because I had to blanch my own almonds and I made a few extra just in case (have you ever blanched almonds? They are slippery and tend to end up under the fridge or similar) and then forgot to take the extra out. My taste tester deemed it very masculine – guys, apparently, prefer crunchy peanut butter to regular, so this was kind of the “crunchy peanut butter equivalent of chicken tikka masala”; he is very kind as it was borderline solid. The chicken was marinated in yogurt and was delicious on its own, though that part of the recipe didn’t require turmeric so it’s better I did the sauce too.

I took the Zinfandel to game night at the Weinbergs’. It was very good, especially with Melissa’s brownies - which is fortunate because I lost the game (Settlers of Catan) soundly.

And, as for the vanilla bean – I could not imagine what one does with a vanilla bean except bake, and my lack of skill at baking (which is directly proportional to my lack of interest in measuring) is well documented. Well, Shannon and I had dinner last Saturday, and when I called to ask what she needed she said, “Do you by chance have a vanilla bean?” Ludicrous question for someone who knows me, but – I did! It’s back in the hands of its rightful owner, and I’m delighted with the symmetry. I’m done.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home