What's Left Behind

Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Week T-6: Better Than Bullion

In a very weak attempt at finishing this task, I replaced beef broth with that made from Better Than Bullion, Mushroom Flavor while braising short ribs. It worked fine - the ribs were great and I'm not sure that mushroom would be better or different than beef.

The dinner, by the way was wonderful and unphotographed. With the short ribs (and a sauce of reduced braising liquid), we served a leek and potato gratin and an arugula salad. The leeks, sourced from the Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market, were about two pounds each - and seriously the size of my forearm (if my forearm had a very large fan-shaped palmlike end to it). The arugula was mixed with fresh strawberries - both from the Farmer's Market as well - and some pine nuts, goat cheese, and balsamic vinaigrette. It's unrealistic to think I could dump my life and go live on a farm, but when eating fresh food, it's tempting!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home